Monday, May 7, 2012

Confession...

     My husband and I are part of a new church in Erie.  It has been a learning experience and there is more involved than I have ever experienced at a church.  I am used to just walking in and having everything ready to go (or only a few things to set up) - no intensive work necessary.  Elevate Church is located in a local elementary school, so every Sunday morning dedicated folks come in to set up (and afterward tear down) everything to help make the worship experience meaningful.  The band comes in at 7 am to make sure their equipment and sound is perfect for the service, as well as sound and tech teams who help create the atmosphere for worship.  Soon after the other teams arrive to set up the other parts of the church (e.g. children's areas). 
    As with anything new, it's a learning process.  Part of this can be trial and error as we reach out to the City of Erie.  I'm finding it's easy to complain.  I don't like being up early to help set up - I don't like that my daughter's schedule is thrown off and Caleb is always looking for things to do until other children arrive - I'm not comfortable discussing my faith with strangers - I just want to sit in my own bubble and wait for God to bless me - It makes for a long day - I don't like sharing my husband's time at home with his desire to practice and play with the worship band.  (You may laugh at how silly all of this sounds, but at one time or another this has run through my head.)
     The reality is:  it isn't about me.  I want to make church about me.  Church is about sharing Jesus.  I need to show the people around me He loves them - every day and I need to do it without complaining.  It's so easy to pick apart those elements of the church that aren't working in my favor, but what I really need to do is make them positive.  I can't expect things to change if I'm not willing to change as well.  It's important that I stay open minded and focused so there isn't an opportunity to lose sight of what Elevate is really about.

No comments:

Post a Comment