Monday, July 16, 2012

Our Garden


Isn't this beautiful?!  And yes, that is a gnome under the basil (more about him at another time).  This year my husband and I really took our garden to a new place by expanding it.  It was so much fun, and best of all, we enjoyed the whole experience with our two kids.  They were (and continue to be) a part of every step, from turning up the soil to weeding. 


Yum, this has made the best salads and toppers for sandwiches and burgers! 

We decided to try some heirloom varieties of tomatoes (Mr. Stripey and Yellow Pear).  {Above is our Yellow Pear tomato} 


The best part is turning all of this produce into something wonderful, like baby food or part of a meal.  I love playing in the dirt, but this part of the process comes in second.  I'm very blessed to have a place/space to grow my own food.  As I gardened with our kids I began to realize how blessed they are.  They know that their food comes from the ground and is not made at the grocery store.  (You may be laughing, but some children don't realize where their food is actually coming from.) 

My kids have easy access to fresh fruits and veggies.  We have a farmers market two minutes from my house, so there is never a shortage of fresh produce in our home.  God has been placing on my heart over the last few months how important this issue of access to fresh, nutritious food is. So I've decided to start a non-profit, with His help of course!  It's my hope that with a community garden as its starting point, Seeds for Sprouts will have the opportunity to pour into the lives of children the encouragement, information, and nutrition they need.  I don't have many details yet, but I do know that things are coming together!    

No comments:

Post a Comment